Monday 16 April 2012

Chicken & Sweet Corn Soup



Today was the first day of school holidays. And I worked. Luckily I have the wonderful Miss C who, along with her kidlets, came by today to look after B while I made the bacon..... so to speak :)

After I got home I had to do grocery shopping, which I was dreading, as I always get caught in the chocolate aisle (and not because B wants chocolate. Its all me) but shopping was not so bad and I thought, you know, after such a big day, it would be nice to curl up with a big bowl of soup.
Winter, here I come!

Again, because I'm all about the easy way, this soup is really quick to make if you have left over chicken roast. Just shred the chicken you have and then follow the recipe using your chicken. chicken chicken (coz I hadn't said it enough)

CHICKEN & SWEET CORN SOUP (makes.... over 1litre of soup)

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts, no skin (or left over chicken as above)
Bunch of spring onions
2 - 4 teaspoons of garlic, minced**
1 1/2  - 3 teaspoons ginger, minced**
1 420g can super sweet corn, drained
1 420g can creamed corn
2 egg whites lightly whisked
1L good quality chicken stock
soy sauce to taste

Notes*** I dont actually measure what I put in, so start off with the lowest quantity and have more ready if you need to adjust the taste. I usually add more garlic and ginger half way through once I've tasted it.

Step 1:
Fill a pot, big enough to hold the 2 chicken breasts, with cold water. Place chicken in the pot and put on a high heat for 20 minutes with the lid on.
Once the 20 minutes is up, remove chicken from the water and place on a plate to cool for 5 minutes.
Shred the chicken with 2 forks, or your fingers...... the chicken will still be hot on the inside.

Step 2:
Chop up the spring onions, separating the white section from the green section. Place the white chopped up section into a pot along with 1 - 2 tablespoons of oil, ginger and garlic. Place on a high heat. Stir until they start to sizzle and smell fragrant. Pour in the sweet corn and creamed corn, stir briefly, then add the stock and the chicken. Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for 20 minutes. During this time, check the flavour and add soy sauce if needed, and ginger/garlic (see note)

Step 3: When the soup is ready turn off the heat and start stirring the soup with a fork. Slowly, whilst still stirring, pour in the egg whites.
The soup is now ready to serve, sprinkle with green spring onions and enjoy!

How easy is that?! and so delicious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment