Saturday 9 June 2012

Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake



I like cheesecake :)
I was originally going to make a lemon and basil cheesecake, but think I might try that combination in a gelato first.

Raspberries and lemons are both pretty tart, but they seem to work well together. I will warn you though, this recipe makes quite a tart cheesecake. If you prefer a sweeter lemon flavour, I would add more icing sugar to the cream cheese, and more sugar to the lemon syrup.

Also another note. I would do a few things differently if I make this again. So bear this in mind if you decide to try this recipe. I would either - add gelatin to my raspberry syrup (about a teaspoon or 2) then let cool to a soft jelly, then pour over my base as the raspberry sauce just soaked through my base. OR add more butter to my base to make it bind together better and leave less gaps for the raspberry syrup to soak into. I also ended up tipping my extra lemon syrup into the cheesecake mix. I probably didn't have to. It was destined as a little jelly glaze over the top. I got excited about the flavours. Whoops.

LEMON RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE
Ingredients:
2 x blocks cream cheese, room temperature
300g double thickened cream
1/4 - 1/2 cup icing sugar
1 pk Lemon crisp biscuits
150g butter

Lemon syrup
7 lemons, juiced (you want the juice)
1/2 cup caster sugar
150g butter

Raspberry Syrup
250g frozen or fresh raspberries
150g caster sugar
40g water

Line a spring form tin with baking paper
Blend up the lemon crisp biscuits in a food processor until all crumbed. Melt 150g of butter and stir into the biscuit crumbs until well combined. Tip the biscuit mix into the prepared tin and smooth out to create a base and a bit of a side. Place into the fridge to chill.

Squeeze the juice out of the lemons. I got about a cup out of my 7 lemons.
Pour the juice and sugar (add more sugar if you want a sweeter flavour) into a pot, place on high heat and stir until all the sugar is dissolved and almost boiling. Tip a little bit of this mix into a mug if you want to make a glaze.
Add the butter and stir until it has melted in. Remove from heat and let sit until it is room temperature.

Put the sugar and water for the raspberry sauce into a pot, place on high heat and let boil until all the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add the raspberries, stirring quickly to ensure that the sugar doesn't set. Let it come to room temperature then put into a blender and pass the sauce through a sieve to get rid of most of the raspberry seeds.
Place in the fridge to cool.
Once it has cooled pour into the base of the cheesecake. Put back in the fridge.

Place the cream cheese and icing sugar into a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Add the lemon syrup in whilst beating.
In a separate bowl whip up the double thick cream. be careful not to over whip as it will turn into butter very quickly.
Fold the cream into the cream cheese mix and the pour into over the base in the tin.

Put back in the fridge and let set for at least 2 hours. Once it has set, you can remove it from the tin. :)

Lemons!

For lemon juice

My lemon syrup with a little bit aside that was going to be a glaze

Stirring the raspberries into the sugar syrup

Into the base

The final product :)


No comments:

Post a Comment