Sunday 13 May 2012

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Cookies


I haven't yet decided whether its a curse or a blessing to be working at a cake decorating store. Curse = I spend all my money there getting excited about trying new things whenever stock comes in. Blessing = at least I get staff discounts and know that I dont have to pick it up straight away, as I can get things special ordered in. Ok, I admit, the curse side is a very weak argument. I love my job, I love the store and I love that I can try things out as soon as they come in.
Like these Apple & caterpillar cookie cutters :)
So, I failed at taking pics of the actual cookie cutters and of the dough etc, but I'm sure you can tell by the shape what the cookie cutters look like, and the dough I've been through previously in my Ladybug post. As a refresher, the dough is from Sweet Sugarbelle as is the Icing I used.


I took "bites" out of some of the apples with a round cookie cutter I had floating around


Yes, I stuck some apples on sticks, I have a stick obsession, everything tastes better on a stick! The lollipop cookies didn't turn out exactly as I'd hoped, I wanted to do twists but it was my left over dough and it just wasn't supple enough. But the colours are still awesome!




Anyway, back to the cookies that I would be icing. I mixed up the royal icing as per Sugarbelles instructions and coloured it with Tulip red by Americolor. I kept the consistency at around the 20 second icing, however, I am still working on my consistencies. I left a few "shine" holes to fill in with white later.


I mixed up 3 different types of green, using americolors Mint green, the darkest green I added a little royal blue as well. I used wiltons brown gel colouring for the stems, I think next time I will colour it a bit darker so it stands out a bit more. I outlined the bites and the "shine" spot in white. I didn't add any colouring, not even the white colour.


In total I think the icing took a couple of hours. I ended up channelling My drunk kitchen whilst icing, I had some champagne with lunch (its mothers day) but I still think they ended up quite well!







No comments:

Post a Comment